Upper Back Pain: Causes and Relief
Upper back pain, although not as common as lower back pain, can be debilitating. The upper back is the area between the base of the neck and the bottom of the rib cage. The bones, muscles, and ligaments in this area are susceptible to strain and injury and can cause severe pain.
At Lake State Chiropractic in Byron Center, MI, we specialize in treating upper back pain. Our experienced chiropractors will work with you to develop a treatment plan that relieves your pain and helps you get back to your normal activities.
Causes of Upper Back Pain
There are many possible causes of upper back pain. Some of the most common include:
- Poor posture: Slouching or sitting in a hunched position can strain the muscles and ligaments in the upper back. As a result, your torso may be out of line with your spine, which can cause pain.
- Muscle strain: Overuse or injury to the muscles in the upper back can lead to muscle strain. This is a common problem for athletes who participate in repetitive upper body motions, such as swimming or weightlifting.
- Ligament strain: The ligaments in the upper back connect the bones and provide stability. However, these ligaments can become strained or stretched, causing pain.
- Arthritis: Osteoarthritis, the most common type of arthritis, occurs when the cartilage between the joints breaks down. This can lead to pain, stiffness, and inflammation in the joints.
- Disc degeneration: The discs in the spine act as cushions between the vertebrae. With age, these discs can begin to degenerate or break down. This can cause pain in the upper back.
Book a Date with Our Chiropractor for Back Pain Relief
At Lake State Chiropractic in Byron Center, MI, we treat both upper and lower back pain. Our experienced chiropractors will work with you to develop a treatment plan that relieves your pain and helps you get back to your normal activities. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.
We look forward to helping you achieve pain relief and optimal health.